Twin Waters Resort is built around a large artificial lake, 1 km north of the Maroochy River. It parallels part of the southern 1.5 km of beach (1544B) which runs on down to the river mouth (Fig. 4.121). The Esplanade runs the length of the beach with a car park on the southern spit. The resort has an access track to the beach at the northern end of the resort, together with an amenity block. Rips persist right to the river mouth, where there is a deep tidal channel and strong tidal currents.
South Melbourne and Port Melbourne Life Saving Clubs patrol a 1.5 km section of beach between the Kerferd Road and Lagoon piers. The reason for having two clubs is that the boundary of South and Port Melbourne Shires crosses the beach midway between each club. The low beach is backed by Beaconsfield Parade, as well as a low seawall and promenade. While the South Melbourne Surf Club was established in 1927, the Port Melbourne Life Saving Club was formed in 1913, but it now occupies a new building. Both clubs incorporate dressing rooms and kiosks.The beach faces the south-south-west, and can receive moderate waves during strong southerly winds. When these occur, they maintain a 100 m wide beach fronted by a 50 m wide bar, that is usually attached to the beach, with occasional rip channels. The rips are only active when waves are breaking over the bar.
Sapphire Beach trends south-southwest from Green Bluff for 2.3 km to 30 m high White Bluff, which is backed by the Sapphire Beach settlement. The beach faces southeast, but has slightly lower waves than adjacent Moonee, owing to the presence of Split Solitary Island, lying 2.5 km off White Bluff. The beach however still has a double bar system, with up to ten rips cutting across the inner bar, with the outer bar at times attaching to the inner producing stronger rips. Access is from Moonee Beach in the north, and a beachfront caravan park in the south, where a small parking area with picnic facilities is provided below the Sapphire Beach residential area.